Freelance writer/graphic designer and dorky dad on a quest to write children's books inspired by video games and comic books.
This may not go well.

Sunday, July 29, 2012

They See Me Rollin'... Critique'n

It begins.  I have a couple of stories written.  So far the wife and kids approve, but something tells me they might be a little bit biased.  So the search is on for a good critique group (or two).

I have found one site that is pretty helpful on this end, Scribophile.  It is a community of writers who critique each others work for "Karma" points.  Once enough points are acquired you can spend them to post one of your stories and have it critique by others (yes, this appeals to the gamer in me).  It is a great community, but the downside is because it is for all writers of every format and genre, there are only a handful of members who are specifically interested in writing and critiquing children's picture books.

Which leads me in search of a more targeted and tighter knit group.  I joined the Children's Book Insider, as they advertised online critique groups, however after many requests to be placed in a group, I was finally messaged that the groups were being reorganized and new members would not be placed until the end of August.  Also based on the forums there and such, the members don't seem to be particularly active.

So, I think for now I will have to work on putting together my own group.  I have one member so far and we have just begun trading stories.  I critique one of his, he critiques one of mine.  If anyone else is interested, please feel free to comment on this post and let me know.

Between this small group (can you call two people a group?) and the critiques I have received from Scribophile, I am getting my first book, The Many Transformations of Tiny Tina Taylor, prepared to shop around.  Wish me luck.

http://media.fakeposters.com/results/2012/06/21/athgsn6x9o.jpg

2 comments:

  1. I've been thinking of writing the adventures of Pen -Pen and it will be stories of Princess and Penny.. Maybe I'll join your group... if I ever write anything. I've been rolling it around in my head for a few months so far.. I was going to publish it with my Scoops label. :) Let me know about your group.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds good. Check out Scribophile. That seem to be a good place to get your feet wet. My small group got absorbed to a pre-existing group. I can send your info to that group leader if you like.

    ReplyDelete